In this discussion we will accomplish the following:
· Define the word insight from English and Hebraic sources
· Consider how it is encountered in life
· Explain its importance to the function and crest of ministry practitioners
· Identify and discuss Biblical approaches toward seeking it
Insight as defined by Merriam-Webster
1: the power or act of seeing into a situation: penetration
2: the act or result of apprehending the inner nature of things or of seeing intuitively
Hebraic understanding of insight using Strongs:
From H995; understanding: – knowledge, meaning, X perfectly, understanding, wisdom.
By this we see the Biblical use of the word insight finds meaning by a synthesis of the words “wisdom” and “understanding.” For this reason, we briefly consider the Hebrew understanding of these words below.
· Wisdom: khok-maw’
From H2449; wisdom (in a good sense): – skillful, wisdom, wisely, wit.
· Understanding: taw-boon’, teb-oo-naw’, to-boo-naw’
from H995; intelligence; by implication an argument; by extension caprice: – discretion, reason, skillfulness, understanding, wisdom.
Conclusive definition: Insight involves the development of wisdom and understanding by the process of inward observations and reasoning which result in direction for future actions.
Relationship to practitioners: Insight is the very essence of the ministry practitioners’ purpose. We understand that it is vital to the personal development of ourselves and those around us. We hold it is the foundation of success which belongs to the Lord –the one in whom we are totally dependent for access. We worship Him because of His wisdom, insight, and understanding because these are not WHAT He does, but the very core of WHO He is!
Ways of Encountering Insight
- · Unintentionally by discovery.
- · Intentionally by “seeking” to find it
- · Through prayer, meditation, and communion with the Holy Spirit
- · By a reflective process (or personal reflection)
- · Teachings, instruction (either or both irrespective of who is the teacher or pupil)
- · Sources, material objects, observations of matter
- · Descriptions by testimony, parables, shared experiences
- · Status within groups, social structures, positions of leadership, etc.
- · Fellowship of two or more people (Matthew 18:20)
- · Discovering it in Life, contextual observations, environments, circumstances
Read, ponder, and discuss the below verses while keeping the Ministry Practitioner’s Torch of Insight as a visual in your mind.
- If you pay close attention to wisdom, and let your mind reach for understanding, if indeed you call out for insight, if you ask aloud for understanding, if you search for wisdom as if it were money and hunt for it as if it were hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the LORD and you will find the knowledge of God. (Pro 2:2-5 GW)
- Faithfully obey these laws. This will show the people of the world your wisdom and insight. When they hear about all these laws, they will say, “What wise and insightful people there are in this great nation!” (Deu 4:6 GW)
- God gave Solomon wisdom-keen insight and a mind as limitless as the sand on the seashore. (1Ki 4:29 GW)
- The LORD will give you insight and understanding as he commands you to take charge of Israel and to follow the Teachings of the LORD your God. (1Ch 22:12 GW)
- David’s uncle Jonathan, an educated man who possessed insight, was David’s adviser. Jonathan and Jehiel, son of Hachmoni, were in charge of the king’s sons. (1Ch 27:32 GW)
- Huram added, “May the LORD God of Israel be praised. He made the heavens and the earth and has given King David a wise son who has insight and intelligence and can build the LORD’S temple and a royal palace. (2Ch 2:12 GW)
- “Wisdom is with the ancient one. The one who has had many days has insight. (Job 12:12 GW)
- God has wisdom and strength. Advice and insight are his. When he tears something down, it cannot be rebuilt. When he puts someone in prison, that person cannot be freed. (Job 12:13-14 GW)
- I have more insight than all my teachers, because your written instructions are in my thoughts. (Psa 119:99 GW)
- My son, pay attention to my wisdom. Open your ears to my understanding so that you may act with foresight and speak with insight. (Pro 5:1-2 GW)
- “I, Wisdom, live with insight, and I acquire knowledge and foresight. (Pro 8:12 GW)
- A person will be praised based on his insight, but whoever has a twisted mind will be despised. (Pro 12:8 GW)
- I will give you shepherds after my own heart. They will be shepherds who feed you with knowledge and insight. (Jer 3:15 GW)
- Whenever the king asked them about things that required wisdom and insight, he found that they knew ten times more than all the magicians and psychics in his whole kingdom. (Dan 1:20 GW)
- He changes times and periods of history. He removes kings and establishes them. He gives wisdom to those who are wise and knowledge to those who have insight. (Dan 2:21 GW)
- I’ve heard that you have the spirit of the gods and that you have insight, good judgment, and extraordinary wisdom. (Dan 5:14 GW)
- In Cyrus’ third year as king of Persia, a message was revealed to Daniel (who had been renamed Belteshazzar). The message was true. It was about a great war. Daniel understood the message because he was given insight during the vision. (Dan 10:1 GW)
- Wise people will understand these things. A person with insight will recognize them. The LORD’S ways are right. Righteous people live by them. Rebellious people stumble over them. (Hos 14:9 GW)
- We have given up our wisdom for Christ, but you have insight because of Christ. We are weak, but you are strong. You are honored, but we are dishonored. (1Co 4:10 GW)
- He poured out his kindness by giving us every kind of wisdom and insight (Eph 1:8 GW)
- Then you will have deeper insight. You will know the confidence that he calls you to have and the glorious wealth that God’s people will inherit. (Eph 1:18 GW)
- I pray that your love will keep on growing because of your knowledge and insight. (Php 1:9 GW)
- For this reason we have not stopped praying for you since the day we heard about you. We ask God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through every kind of spiritual wisdom and insight. (Col 1:9 GW)
- Do any of you have wisdom and insight? Show this by living the right way with the humility that comes from wisdom. (Jas 3:13 GW)
- In this situation wisdom is needed. Let the person who has insight figure out the number of the beast, because it is a human number. The beast’s number is 666. (Rev 13:18 GW)
250 S. Pleasantburg Dr. Ste. 125,
Greenville SC 29607